Get to know Rebecca Roe
Top Irish Interior Designer Rebecca Roe of Hedgeroe Home is designing the Dyson Wellbeing Showhouse at this year’s spring permanent tsb Ideal Home Show. Rebecca comes from a background in the fashion industry, having worked with some of London’s top brands including Beulah London, Jenny Packham and Bergdorf Goodman. Her love for colour and design in the fashion world translated into interior design. Get to know her a little better with these 20 questions!
- What is your ambition?
As the creative director of Hedgeroe I am passionate about growing and improving the company. We are constantly working on the design and quality of our products, we are lucky to have a fantastic team to supporting us.
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
New York, my husband and I adore it, a melting pot of culture and design.
- What part of your work to you enjoy most?
The opportunities to be creative and design pieces for our store. We are introducing new items all the time and I feel so proud to be able to display a product that I have worked on from conception drawing up a design, through the manufacturing process and finally seeing them in our showroom.
- Who or what inspires your creative design process?
I like to draw upon ideas and inspiration wherever I go. Through nature’s own designs, antiques architecture or more contemporary designs in art there are so many opportunities to create new designs. The key thing is to always be thinking about new designs in the back of your mind and set aside time every week to be creative.
- What is your favourite item you have designed at Hedgeroe?
That’s a difficult one as I have favourite pieces from each collection but most recently our embroidered cushions. Each is hand made using traditional French Knitting, so much work goes into each piece, they are effortlessly stylish and long lasting in design.
- What do you believe makes the best gift to give to someone?
Personally I always think a really good candle goes down well. It is a little extra luxury that always gets used.
- What would you grab if your house was on fire?
Easy, the dog and a bottle of whiskey, next.
- What is your destination for the trip of your dreams?
There are so many places to go it is really very hard to pick only one. Maybe at the moment it would be Japan for the World Cup later this year, Sushi, sake and rugby sounds good to me.
- What advice would you give anyone looking for a career in design?
Focus on what you are looking to achieve. There are so many people out there doing everything differently, which is great for all of us. If you have your own distinct look and style the right clients will come to you and you will never have to sacrifice what your design is all about.
- Who is the most interesting person you’ve ever met?
Sir Tim Berners-Lee.
- Who would be your ideal dinner guest?
- What could you not live without?
- Which season do you like the most – spring, summer, autumn or winter?
I am a spring baby so that is an easy choice for me! Lots of flowers and blossoms all over the place. Nature really does put together the best colour schemes.
- If you could be absolutely anything in your next life, what would you like to be?
A palm tree. Being a human is very busy and a bit of time relaxing on a beach in the sun would be great!
- If you could travel to any place on the earth, where would you go and why?
The bottom of the Challenger Deep. It would be cool to be the first woman to go there.
- What is it that you are most passionate about?
Hedgeroe, the business is so important to me and I work at improving our products and our customer experience. I absolutely love what I do and feel so lucky that I get to go in every day.
- What is your favourite food?
- When you’re not working, how do you like to spend your time?
At weekends I try to get out for extra-long dog walks, usually in Wicklow. I find the time keeps me away from any screen and that really helps to clear the head and relax.
- If you could spend a day in someone else’s shoes, whose would they be? Why?
Donald Trump. I’d right a few wrongs, transfer myself some money and get out of there!
- Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your 18-year-old self?
Work harder, play harder.
Visit Rebecca at Hedgeroe Home’s stand SH8
Posted in: Blog